"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds
us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
The last 5 months have been nothing short of a 'Star Trek';in the truest sense; a journey which certainly I, had not undertaken before. The surge of emotions I have experienced in this short duration have surpassed the insignificant threshold I had thought myself capable of, making me a better person, a stronger person. This literal rollercoaster has shown me life with generous dollops of love, friendship, fatigue, determination, abandonment, a phoenician like rebirth and an endless plethora of mental states. As many who know me will attest, I don't regret any one of these, as only one who fails knows the true meaning of success.
My departure from Mumbai, a city which gave me 7 years of probably the best times of my life, was numbing. When I touched my parents feet at Mumbai Airport, as I took my first step into the world all alone, I didn't quite understand the implications, the meaning behind it all. But now, as I look back at the people and memories I have left behind, it overwhelms me, makes me remember those that were dear to me. I thank you, not for the awesome fun we had, nor for the food on the table when I came home each night or the nights you spent up, taking care of me when I was sick. But for making me what I am today. Be it helping me ride my first bicycle or prepping me up when I was depressed, Mom, Dad and friends, I thank you all. You form an inseparable part of me, one I wouldn't trade or change for anything in the world.
The story of my trip across some 5 seas was extremely eventful, one past its time and probably suited for another post, God knows when :). And then came America. It was all a bit much, this big country, this crazy schedule, this weird place where left is right and right is left. But I adjusted quickly, maybe quicker than most, owing thankfully, to great friends and supportive peers. I thank you as well, the last five months have been a blast and I truly appreciate it.
Pittsburgh as a city is beautiful. Right from the breathtaking view from Mount Washington of the towering skyscrapers of downtown, standing across the Ohio river, to the stadiums of sports fans galore, tailgating their teams to hearts content and the delicious fare common only to this bustling metropolis. Originally a dirty city owing to the magnitude of steel plants in the vicinity, Pittsburghers have done an awesome job "redding" up this town. The sky is probably the most beautiful, with elegant cloud formations during the day and a starlit ceiling at night. And the image of the Cathedral of Learning rising to the heavens against the backdrop of a setting sun is simply spectacular, one mere words fail to describe.
Carnegie Mellon has probably been one of the best decisions of my life. It has exposed me not only to professors who are wizards in their chosen feilds, but people who have now formed an intrinsic part of my life. We eat together, play together and spend sleepless nights pouring over assignments and projects. I know these people will think I'm crazy for saying this, but again, I wouldn't change these memories for the world.
As for love, well thats a topic better left for another post, heck another blog. :)
And now the apologies. People back home, I know I haven't written or called or im'ed or......As you may have understandably guessed, I owe it mainly to my extreme laziness, something which afflicts me on an almost daily basis. My new years resolution is to stay in touch with everyone, but hey! last year I promised to lose weight and we all know how that turned out :).
As I come to the end of this post, written by a hand with only a rudimentary command of the english language, I thank you for bearing with me so far. The ride has just begun. :).
In the words of Annie Dillard,
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."
Thanks for the great days, for I've had a great life.
No comments:
Post a Comment